RE: Here you have, ;o) == VIRUS

To: "Simon Favre" <simon@mondes.com>,
Subject: RE: Here you have, ;o) == VIRUS
From: "John Gates" <jgates@tx3.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 21:07:27 -0800
So I ain't no expert at this kind of thing, but I think most of these pesky
little worm deals use the Visual Basic Scripting feature of your Windows
system. You can stop these things from doing what they do by disabling this
feature.  If you don't know what it is, you probably don't need it.  I don't
know what it is, which makes this advice rather suspect, eh?  Anyhow, try
this:  go to Start, Settings, Control Panel, Add/remove programs, Windows
setup tab, accessories, Windows Scripting Host.  The default is on...turn it
off.  Next, minimize everything so you can find that dumb "My Computer"
icon.  Under that, select C:, select the view tab, then folder options, then
file types, and find any reference to vbs (visual basic script) and delete
it.  Especially, even if you really like Anna, or any other persons, don't
ever open any e-mail with a .vbs extension.

JG

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]