Unsprung Trailers?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Unsprung Trailers?
From: john donohoe <gt6driver@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 08:04:13 -0800 (PST)
Hello all,

I've been offered a free trailer frame, which would be
a double axle except that the axles are just stubs
which are rigidly attached to the frame -- actually
they're attached to a subframe on which the whole bed
pivots, simplifying loading and adding to the
attractiveness of the trailer, besides its good price!

Any thoughts on using something like this for
transport duty?

If I secured the car with wheel tie downs (not by the
frame!) it seems like the car's suspension would take
up any bumps just as if it were on the road itself,
but I'm not sure what that much "unsprung weight"
would do...

Any Friday afternoon armchair input appreciated!

Thanks,
John Donohoe