Re: Triumph aluminum hubs

To: Pieter & Vicki van Rossum <silverstar@main.nc.us>,
Subject: Re: Triumph aluminum hubs
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 09:30:21 +0000
Pieter & Vicki van Rossum wrote:

> Keep the vintage in vintage racing and leave it period corect no aluminum
> hubs
>   crazy PETE

I rolled my beautiful and much loved TR4 three times at Road America because a
40 year old rear axle fractured. I am replacing it with Ford axle shafts.

I have two friends who have had front hubs fail. They are a bad design. Many of
us drill and tap more holes, use longer bolts and spacers, etc in an attempt to
make them strong enough.In addition, My front bearings last only four events.

I don't expect to be able to go even a tenth of a second faster a lap by taking
a couple of pounds off the weight of the car.

If any of this offends anyone, they can pay my restoration costs and hospital
bills.

Please don't suggest that we also go back to the roll bars and drivers suits
that we used in 1961.

--

uncle jack

Like I said, "Life isn't long enough for me to do another ground-up
restoration". Well, thank goodness, it is.