Re: Lotus emblems & colors

To: MHKitchen@aol.com
Subject: Re: Lotus emblems & colors
From: Steven Shipley <shiples@home.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 15:44:01 -0800
MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/28/01 10:37:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, brian@uunet.ca
> writes:
>
> << I thought that the black Lotus emblem was for Colin Chapmans death, not
> Jim
>  Clarks.  I had a Lotus Europa with it on, tho no idea if it was original to
>  the car. >>
>
> I stand corrected on this....of course he (Clark) didn't die if we won Indy
> in '65 (I was having another blonde and/or senior moment).  I believe others
> have pinpointed it correctly as '68 at Hockenheim.
>
> I know the Lotus logo was issued in black at some point commemorating a
> death...I was under the impression it was first done for Clark, but I could
> be wrong.  Some were likely done later when Colin passed as well??  Any
> trivia experts out there have the answer on this?  I know that the Cortina
> came with an all black Lotus logo on the horn button, but the outside emblems
> were normal...maybe this didn't signify anything at that time, other than a
> black logo to match the interior?  The Locort also came with an emblem on the
> console announcing them the winners of the Manufacturer's Championship for
> 1965.
>
> Regards,
> Myles H. Kitchen
> 1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128
Here's what I found in my archives......
author is Ken Ritchie, Atlanta

THE STORY:

The first black badges were said to be a memorial, as told to me
by the LOTUS EAST staff early 1972. I lived in Connecticut from
1965-1973, not far from  Millerton, NY -- Dutchess Auto and LOTUS EAST
--
the USA stocking distributor for dealers at that time.

Here's how I found out.  In 1971 I had the test-drive of my life,
the one that started my love affair with the Europas, and all
things Lotus.  That was an S1, with the usual colors.
I had also seen another 1967 with colors.

When finally I found and bought my car, it had
black badges inside and out.  The car was nearly pristine.
It was built 15-SEP-69 and despatched 18-SEP-69 to LOTUS EAST.
VIN: 65/2218.  Licensed in 1970.
Sold to a Honda mechanic, from whom I bought it.

Puzzled about the black badges, I inquired on my next visit to
the Lotus shop.  Reportedly, all badges up until the latter 1960's
had been green & yellow. In memory of Jim Clark and his death in 1968,
the blackout began.  The next loss was Jochen Rindt in 1970, after
he became Team Lotus lead.

I'm fuzzy on the details ((kinda like my beard)).

I do recall being told that the steering wheel badge was kept black
even after returning to yellow and green on the outside.  As far as I
 know, the next appearance of black outside was on the limited edition
John Player Special Europas.  The first "wedgie" to wear a black badge
was an M50 Elite, from the mid-1970's.

Steve Shipley
Seattle, WA
1965 Super7  (Yellow Badge)