RE: Helmets amd Driving Gear

To: Michael Gee <Michael_Gee@bc.sympatico.ca>,
Subject: RE: Helmets amd Driving Gear
From: "Oker, William" <OkerWR@navair.navy.mil>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 07:29:09 -0800
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I've learned from some other e-mailers that the soaking
liquid was probably a mixture of  20 mule team Borax and water. Where did
you run your Cooper in the early '60's? I may have seen you drive! Dad drove
several Coopers including a Formula 2 car at Paramount Ranch....oh, mid
'50's I guess. He preferred the Cooper to the Lotus which he thought were
frail. BTW, Dad's last sports car race in 1960 was in a Joe Lubin owned
Cooper at Santa Barbara. As I've been told, (I wasn't there) he was on the
front row with Ken Miles on one side and Jack MacAfee on the other, both in
Porsches of course, for the start of the under 1500cc main. He was always
good at starts, but, this time, when he dropped the clutch the tranny
exploded into tiny little expensive pieces. He told me that he was sure
someone was going to nail him in the rear at about 100 mph, but luckily no
one did. He got out of the car and walked away never to race a sports car
again.

Bill Oker