Follow-up on race tires

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Follow-up on race tires
From: "Jack Knopinski" <JKnopins@co.jefferson.co.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 14:07:31 -0700
A large group of us race Porsche 356 and 912's with Rocky Mountain Vintage
Racing (RMVR) and have been looking for a suitable race tire.  Our specs
require a DOT approved 60 series or greater tire in 195/60/15 or 205/60/15
size.  No one makes these any more;  Hoosier, Yokohama, BFG, Kumho, Avon,
Goodyear, etc.  Most only make 15" tires in 50 series.  My search has come down
to two tires:  Hoosier Vintage TD 5:50-15 or Goodyear GS-CS-1 in 215/60/15.  I
also considered the Hoosier R3SO3 in 215/60/15 but the section width of 9.0"
was too great and I am also worried about the section width of 8.5" of the
GS-CS-1 tire.

What is your experience with each of these tires in terms of fit, durability,
handling, availability, etc. ?  All help would be greatly appreciated.