Re: Yet another brake question

To: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@telocity.com>,
Subject: Re: Yet another brake question
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 08:29:27 -0400
There's a whole big difference between "you can screw the Girling fittings
into a AN-3 fitting and if you crank down hard they don't leak" and "You
can mate Girling and AN-3 and they work really well together"  The two
systems both use a 3/8" thread, and you can screw one into the other, but
that's the sum total of the interchangeability.  If your TR-6 is a race
car, then get the Aeroquip catalog and order the correct fittings to
convert the Metric attachment on the caliper to AN-3, use proper braided
line with AN'3 hose-ends for the flex hose, and buy the correct hard-line
fittings to let you use an AN-3 termination on the end of the hardline on
the TR-6.  The hard line termination uses a sleeve-nut and a bushing, must
be single-flared to 37 degrees, and will mate to the hose end on the end of
the flex line with a male - male adaptor.  You may be able to buy a girling
to AN adaptor, too.

If the TR-6 is a road car, then the situation may need more thought, as the
AN- fittings and hose are not DOT approved, so you theoretically can't use
them on a road car.  But whatever you do, don't just bung a Girling fitting
into a metric or AN hole.  They may work for a while, but the odds are they
won't work for long.

See this web site for a good
explanation.  http://www.dimebank.com/BrakePlumbing.html

Brian

At 02:13 PM 6/17/01 -0400, Hugh Barber wrote:
>I have yet another question.  This one is about Girling brake fittings on my
>TR6.  As I understand things, AN-3 fittings are 37 degree flared . SAE and
>Japanese metric are 45 degrees INF flared.  European ISO metric are 42
>degrees flared.  I have read several times that the Girling "bubble flare
>fittings can be mated directly with AN-3 fittings.  This would seem to imply
>that Girling bubble flares are 37 degrees and that a flaring tool for ISO
>flares cannot be used to replicate Girling bubble flares.  Does anyone know
>the answer to this riddle?  I'm converting my TR6 to the Toyota 4-Runner
>4-pot calipers and I am wondering what is the best way to plump them into
>the system.
>
>Happy Father's Day,
>
>Hugh Barber
>Hollister, CA