Re: Silicone fluid

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Silicone fluid
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2001 02:21:18 -0000
Well now that Jack & Rod have come out, I'll come out of the closet too and
admit I've been using silicone fluid for 10 years of racing in my MGA.
Never, never had a single problem.  I sort of quit telling people this a
while ago because everyone looks at me like I'm nuts.  Now I'll just tell
them "talk to Jack & Rod, they're nuts too".

Yes, silicone fluid does have a lower DRY boiling point than glycol-based
fluids.  But, going from memory, the silicone dry boiling point is higher
than the wet boiling point of glycol.  So if you replace your AP550
frequently, that's great ... but if you stick some old DOT 3 fluid in the
racecar and leave it in there all summer, you probably have a lower boiling
point than silicone fluid (silicone doesn't absorb moisture so it has no
"wet" boiling point).

That said, my MGA has 4-wheel drum brakes (yes, some of us keep the front
drums and they actually work pretty well for most vintage drivers of limited
braking ability).  I would be more cautious of silicone in a disc-braked
car, because I think they probably transfer more heat into the brake fluid
(large piston area/lots of fluid volume very near the disc).  Also cars with
more top speed capability, which might put more heat into the brake fluid.
Or cars with wider tires, which may be able to brake harder (I'm
contact-patch limited with 5.00-15 Dunlops).

So all I can say for certain, is that silicone doesn't boil in a 4-wheel
drum-braked skinny-tired MGA, even at circuits with heavy braking, albeit
with an amateur foot on the brake pedal.  BTW, the pedal is NOT rock-hard,
but that never bothered me.

Your results may vary ... but I have certainly never had any seal swelling,
leaks, brake hang-up, etc etc that some people have ascribed to silicone
fluid.  I will go back in the silicone closet now.

Mark Palmer