RE: Looking for Ray Hepinstal (spelling no doubt incorrect)

To: "Roger Sieling" <Rogsie@telesistech.com>,
Subject: RE: Looking for Ray Hepinstal (spelling no doubt incorrect)
From: "Tim Osborne" <timos@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 07:27:08 -0700
It's amazing what one finds out on these history searches...  although
the current "owner" of Phil Spector's old Cobra may not feel as warmly
about it. ;)

I bought that fairly off-beat Crossle F5000/FA car (1 of 3) that no
doubt some of you may have glanced at on race-cars.com.  Heppy wrenched
for the (2nd) owner at the time, a fellow by the name of T. Grant.
Heppy had no idea what the T stood for and I hold little hope of finding
Mr. T - anyone out there know a T Grant who ran a FA car in maybe '69,
probably in the Baltimore area???

The vendor, Victor, was a gentleman and actually personally delivered it
(Florida to Washington state!) and treated my wife and I to dinner.  It
was a very pleasurable experience all the way 'round and I have a new
friend now.

I have located another of the three Crossles for sure (in Germany), and
maybe the final one too.  Believe it or not, a vintage motorsports
photographer in Oregon had a nice period picture of the car, and there's
a 50/50 chance it's the one I have.  This photo and another photocopied
from a book led me to the first owner of one of the cars (Roger Barr),
whom I am now in email contact with.  Heppy provided the bridge to the
fellow I bought it from, and gave me valuable background on the car's
development (or lack of).  I'm also looking for Ralph Loesser, who owned
the second stateside car - any leads here?

The really scary thing is Crossle is still very much in business (John
has retired), and still has the drawings, jigs, and moulds and can
supply almost any part!  Wow.

The Crossle is awaiting the completion of my Brabham BT21, of which I am
now scraping the paint off the frame.  What a nice car to work on (the
BT21, that is)!  Both cars will definitely race again, both in the local
vintage group and the local club races when time permits.

tim