Re: steering wheel

To: LenPicton@aol.com
Subject: Re: steering wheel
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 11:12:28 EDT
In a message dated 09/14/2001 6:42:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, LenPicton
writes:

> Jack,
> I have heard that some vintage organizations have banned wood rim steering
> wheels.  they were such an integral part of the past that I find this
> shocking.  Would I be welcome in svra with a wood rim wheel on my Turner?

Certainly! I find it disturbing that many organizations ban things without
doing the research to discover why.

In the case of wooden rimmed steering wheels; there are some that can be a
hazard.

The ones with a one piece 360 degree metal ring and spoke unit that has the
wood attached with rivets are acceptable. These should be checked
periodically for delamination or loosening of the wood. They should be
revarnished whenever the finish becomes worn.

There are many newer wheels that do not have a 360 degree outer rim. These
only have a T-shaped spoke and most of the rim is unsupported wood. This type
of steering wheel has been reported to splinter and cause  an obvious crash
hazard. If we see one of these we will advise the driver to change to a
better design.

In actual fact, either style probably could be a hazard when compared to the
newer padded units. The message here is to look carefully at your steering
wheel and I think you can determine for your self whether it satisfies your
own standard for safety vs. originality.

Jack Woehrle