Re: steering wheel

To: JWoesvra@aol.com, LenPicton@aol.com
Subject: Re: steering wheel
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 12:01:26 EDT
In a message dated 9/15/01 8:16:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time, JWoesvra@aol.com
writes:

> There are many newer wheels that do not have a 360 degree outer rim. These
> only have a T-shaped spoke and most of the rim is unsupported wood. This
> type
> of steering wheel has been reported to splinter and cause  an obvious crash
> hazard. If we see one of these we will advise the driver to change to a
> better design.

My 63 TVR Grantura has a wheel like this. For safety reasons, and also
because most of the original wheels are far larger diameter than desirable
(at least for those of us not built like jockeys), I replaced it with a
leather padded modern wheel of considerablt smaller diameter.

I imagine that having a wheel come apart on you while racing could be just a
tad bothersome.....

I recall a friend that managed to put his TR3 off-road on the street, who had
a woodrimmed wheel. He had to spend an hour or so with a doctor pulling
rather large splinters from his palms!

Bill Spohn