RHD Steering boxes??

To: "Vintage Racing" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RHD Steering boxes??
From: "Steve Hammatt" <shammatt@sos.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:33:11 -0800
The project revolves around my LHD 1915 Buick speedster
project. It has a number of early automotive parts, mostly Buick, but
not everything. The steering arm attached to the front spindle was been
modified (sometime in the '20s) to a fore-and-aft drag link style steering
arrangement, similar to the old sprint cars with the long drag link going
from the steering box output arm to the front end, parallel to the chassis
rails. In modifying the set-up, I'm trying to keep the same concept;
however, I'm also trying to keep the drag link level! The best way to do
this in neat and orderly manner is to install a steering box with the
output shaft arm in a vertical UPWARD position instead of the more
normal DOWNWARD position. Does anyone know of any steering box
that can be made to work in this manner? In other words, when I turn
right, I need the output shaft to turn (viewed from the outside of the
car)
clockwise (arm rotates rearward) instead of the more normal
counter-clockwise. My thinking is that a RHD steering box could be
swapped to the left side, then the proper rotation would be there,
but Id need one that would be easy to modify to get the output
shaft to the other side of the box (hope this makes sense). Any suggestions?

My other alternative is to switch to a Vega or Corvair cross-steering
gear box. My tie-rod has a ball-fitting so that this is a possibility, but
I'd prefer to keep the look of the long, side drag link.