Re: Spridget discs

To: dmeadow@juno.com, haynes386@netzero.net
Subject: Re: Spridget discs
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:49:41 EST
In a message dated 11/15/01 8:25:17 AM Pacific Standard Time,
dmeadow@juno.com writes:

> SVRA specifically allows four wheel
> discs on Mark II Sprites (only) because of this reason.

We allow them on Mark I (Bugeye) Sprites only. As a point of interest, we
would allow an exact replica of the original option. One could probably make
the appropriate brackets and such. Rotors are free as long as the material
and diameter is correct. I believe it is 7 or 7.5". If someone knows for
sure, please let me know.

Substitute calipers can be used if of the correct size and material.
I believe the correct caliper was very similar to the LD19 unit found on
early Mini Coopers and small formula cars.

BTW, I think that all the cars equipped with rear discs also had wire wheels.

I suspect that the performance of these brakes would actually be inferior to
that of a good set of properly set up drums using modern linings. The Mini
Cooper small discs were woefully inadequate and most agree that the twin
leading shoe drums are better.

My first race Mini had these small discs and I can attest to this. They were
weak for the first few laps and then when you got them hot they were gone.
Pads lasted one weekend.

Jack Woehrle
SVRA Technical Director