RE: A series Cooper cam

To: <Brock.D.Dittrick@jci.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: A series Cooper cam
From: "Jim Gambony" <BritBits@tiu.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 07:14:09 -0600
Brock,

As with any engine that's been in production for a while, there are a
variety of cams floating around.

A good reference to pick up is Vizard's "Tuning BL's A Series Engine" (just
went through an update and the name may have been modified slightly... my
coffee hasn't kicked in yet :-).  Mini Mania probably has a good reference
in their catalog, Mini City also has a pretty good chart.

One of the ways that the cams were identified is that "rings" of extra
material were left between lobes, sometimes near the distributor drive.  #
of rings, lobe width and oil pump drive type (flange, pin or spider).

The first gen Cooper (997cc) had a cam with:

lobe width              3/8"
intake open             16 deg
intake close            56 deg
exhaust open            51 deg
exhaust close           21 deg
int/exhaust duration    252/252
lift                    .318

using the same sequence, the early "S" shows the following specs

1/2", 5, 45, 51, 21, 230/253, .318"

The later S (AEG 510 or AEG 542)

1/2", 10, 50, 51, 21, 240/252, .318"

hth

Cheers,

Jim
Dallas
'63 Mini Cooper (and a few other projects)