Re: Mini Spares Center adjustable belt timing setup for A

To: cak@dimebank.com, british-cars@autox.team.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mini Spares Center adjustable belt timing setup for A
From: TATERRY@aol.com
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 16:12:58 EST
In a message dated 11/22/01 12:45:43 Pacific Standard Time, cak@dimebank.com
writes:

<<
 The question is - where? It doesn't appear that it could really
 lead to the main crankcase, since the front engine plate directly
 in the path of the hole seems to be hanging out in the air.

 Is it just venting the belt area? If so, why is this useful?

 Thanks,
 chris

Chris, there is a passage into the crankcase from the timing chain cover...do
not block the breather!!  It vents the crankcase.  The racers cut the top out
of the oil seperator to give it even more breathing (which it needs in my
experience).  Originally it was hooked up to a PCV valve on the manifold.  I
could never get this arrangement to work right but I have a highly modified
1380cc A series motor.  I also installed a vent that utilizes the spot where
a mechanical fuel pump used to be on some applications.  Mini Mania make an
oil seperator for this spot.  I also had to cut a 1" dia. hole in the top of
the valve cover filler cap to finally get my leakage under control.  A couple
of big fat Kotex'es bungied under the front and back of the sump takes care
(mostly) of it now!!  Some day, I'll go looking for the leaks....but its too
much fun driving now!

Cheers,
Terry in Oakland