Fw: Alfa brakes wanted (more info...)

To: "Vintage Racing" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Alfa brakes wanted (more info...)
From: "Steve Hammatt" <GSteve@Hammatt.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:41:58 -0800
I've had a number of interesting reply emails and questions
asked.  Here's some more information and the reasons behind
what I'm trying to do.  First, this is a very out of the ordinary
situation.  This is not a race car, nor even a 'real' car, but is
instead, a project I'm working on:  1915 Buick speedster, made
from various mid-teens Buick parts (chassis, engine, radiator, etc.)
plus a Chevrolet 490 read end with very interesting springing, etc.
It was originally made into a 'bob-tailed speedster' sometime in
the 1920s in the Chicago area.  I'm totally redoing it and will be using
it with the NW Vintage Speedster club here in the Washington/Oregon area.
The Dayton pin-drive wire wheels with knock-offs have been rebuilt, however
later hydraulic rear brakes had been fitted (rears only) and really don't
look 'in period' nor 'in application'.  The 20" wire wheels
are not wrapped around the brakes and therefore are not a limiting factor in
brake diameter.  I'd like to be able to find a pair of suitable large dia.
hydraulic rear brakes (need the parking brake function) but I'd prefer the
grooves (see example http://shadetreemotors.com/alfin2.jpg )
like the old Alfin drums for the MG TC, etc.  I'd rather have the looks of
the 'grooves' instead of the short cross fins of later designs.

Any further suggestions?

Super thanks.
Steve Hammatt
Mount Vernon, WA USA