Re: Disc brakes

To: brian@uunet.ca, WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Disc brakes
From: "Mark Palmer" <mgvrmark@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 18:56:58 +0000
Brian,

I'll register my disagreement.  It is wrong to assume that ALL drum brakes
fade, or are otherwise inadequate.  Perhaps some, but not all.  IMHO most
people who upgrade to discs and claim "it's a safety thing" are simply
trying to go faster, and lying about their motives.

Brian is correct about the 100-S Healey, it was 4-cylinder and had 4-wheel
Dunlop disc brake system.  However, in my mind that does NOT justify
conversion of production 100-4's to Girling front-wheel disc brakes, for two
reasons:  1) a 100-4 is not a 100-S, they are different & distinct models;
and 2) the 4-wheel Dunlop system is not the same as the Girling front-wheel
disc brake system found on later big Healeys.

Would you regard the C-type or D-type Jag as simply an option package on the
standard XK-120?  I don't think so (even if the factory called it a 120C).

When we allow updating to later technology, like disc brakes on cars that
didn't have them, we are taking away some of the distinctions and
comparative advantages that make vintage racing interesting.  If a Porsche
356 had better brakes than an Alfa, it wouldn't properly represent a Porsche
anymore, would it?  Before everyone jumps down my throat, you will NOT
convince me that disc brakes are a safety REQUIREMENT for all cars.
Well-maintained drum brakes are adequate for most of the cars they came on
(with one or two possible exceptions).  If, as Brian suggests, the desire to
upgrade to discs is motivated by maintenance "problems" with drums -- well,
I guess I have to question why anyone would want to race without properly
maintaining their brakes.

Mark Palmer
MGA 1500 w/4-wheel drum brakes