Re: fender flare origins?

To: Ccanepa50@aol.com
Subject: Re: fender flare origins?
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 04:26:18 EST
In a message dated 11/29/01 10:57:07 PM US Eastern Standard Time, Ccanepa50
writes:

> flared fenders were finally allowed because a  trend evolved to effectively
> tub the cars to get wider tires  within the original fenders

One fellow I raced against, a multi national champion, sectioned his body to
make it fractionally wider but still legal looking.  I know we all wanted to
get more rubber on the road and the first flares were modest propositions,
easily installed in a weekend, and they accommodated slightly wider tires,
wheels and spacers.  Today, in my opinion, production cars have gotten
grotesque with their steroid flares.
Tom Butters