Re: What is this car?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: What is this car?
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2002 11:20:14 -0700
Rmvr53@aol.com wrote:
> In a message dated 8/3/02 8:19:49 PM Mountain Daylight Time, PaceCars@aol.com
> writes:
>
> << The body is a Zink Z-10 FF or Z-11 (?) FSV. The body is not original to
> the
>  chassis. You might want to post a shot of the chassis with the body off so
>  the FV guys can see it better.
>  Harold Pace >>
>

> was thinkin the same thing...what area of the country is it?...could be Z-9
> if that is alm under the upper section?
>
> Bill (F)

I am in Oregon but the car is in CA. The owner is going to send me some
more photos including detail shots of the chassis w/o the body. As soon
as Harold suggested that I realized why the car had seemed so familiar
to me. Being a big guys who has wanted a FF over the years, I've looked
at a number of Z10s. But I kept thinking only FVs yesterday and never
considered a FF body until Harold said that. I've compared the body to
shots of Z10s & Z11s and it appears to be slightly different, but at
this point I'd have to agree that it's likely a Zink body. or at least a
body based on a Zink, on a FV chassis. In the photo, the lower section
sure does look like aluminum. But the body is much more like a Z10 than
a Z9. As I say there are differences, maybe I am wrong and maybe these
are just variations in the Zink bodies over the years, lord knows I am
no expert, but I saw a number of minor differences, such as the way
there seems to be a recess around the front and sides of the cockpit for
a windshield, that's something I've never noticed on a Zink. And the way
that windshield recess creates a swoop up in the body at the side of the
cockpit, about midway back. And the fact that there is no step in the
body around the cockpit, the way there is on a Zink, the sides just go
down in a near continuous plane to the bottom of the top bodywork around
the cockpit. The more I think about it the more I wonder if someone took
th basic shape of a Z10 and modified it to suit the FV chassis. The guy
does have the original molds for this bodywork. Maybe they liked a Z10
so they started with that and did some reworking to make it fit the
chassis, then made their own molds and produced an FV body that looks
remarkably like a Z10. I don't know, but I do love a good mystery. :-)

--
Marc Sayer
Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956)

Passions -
Great Danes, auto racing and fast cars, my wife

Dogs -
Gracie, Tank, Delilah, PJ, & the rescue dogs

Cars -
82 280ZX Turbo, 71 510 Trans Am vintage racer, 93 Ford E150 Tow/dog van

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org

Deaf Dane Rescue Homepge - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

Any Dane at the races is a Great Dane!