Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #1096

To: <vintage-race-digest@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: vintage-race-digest V1 #1096
From: "Rex B" <burkheimer@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 23:02:37 -0500
> Put ice in your pockets when you go out-- you will have a low tech cool
suit.

I've done this for years.   On grid, I have the wife/crew dump crushed ice
into my suit right before I zip up. The ice stays in the chest area and
keeps my cool for a full National race. There's usually ice falling out
after the session.
    However, some have cautioned me that in the event of fire, a damp suit
becomes a steamer. The steam transfers heat energy that the Nomex insulates
from, so the water defeats much of the Nomex protectin. Just something to
think about.

> In light of these safety questions...I'm curious if anyone has acquired a
> HANS device or other head/neck protective system (other than a horse
collar)?
>  Or is contemplating one???

Check out the Wright Device, soon to be featured in SportsCar and other
articles.  Jay Wright was injured atthe Runoffs in the early 1990's and has
been a paraplegic since. As a NASA engineer and a racer, he felt obligated
to use his knowledge to make racing safety within reach of the grassroots
racer, and hopefully prevent others from injuries such as his.  The Wright
Device tests as good or better than HANS, and costs $200 complete or less
for a kit.   Plans and materials sources are free to those who want to make
their own.

http://www.racingpress.com/publish/article_63.shtml

Play safe

Rex Burkheimer