Re: wet underwear/suit material

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: wet underwear/suit material
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 16:44:51 -0700
Just to throw a little gasoline on this thread. Not that I am looking
for any flames, but it was starting to die out you see (puns intended).
I found this interesting info on both Bell's website and Baker's:

Our PRO Series FIREWEAR knit is significantly cooler than Nomex. Nomex
will defeat most of the advantages of vented driving suits, as, being
fiberglass, will not absorb and transmit moisture. FIREWEAR knit
headsocks absorb sweat and reduce "salt burn" caused by perspiration
running into the eyes during competition A single eyeport should be
used, except for drag racing, as twin eye holes might shift partially
blocking vision. One layer is usually sufficient with prfoperly designed
SFI-5 suits and an SA rated closed face helmet. Nomex socks are a must -
I personally wear 100% cotton socks underneath having seen what can
happen when melted nomex is attached to the skin. I recommend Jockey
shorts for support and our FIREWEAR knit underwear (wet during hot
weather) under any suit. The top may be rinsed between sessions or
changed. The SFI Foundation states FIREWEAR underwear may be soaked in
water prior to use. Besides cooling, it will increase fire safety. (We
do not recommend soaking Nomex underwear.)

This is quoted from http://www.bellmotorsports.com/equiprec.htm If a
company as well known as Bell can't get this info right on their
website, is it any wonder most new racers are confused?

Almost the same info (without the incorrect comments about Nomex being
fiberglass and melting) plus more is available at
http://www.bakerprecision.com/suitinfo.htm

Here's their description of their underwear:
Our Firewear underwear is a step ahead of the safety industry offering
full knit arm and leg closures. SFI rated, lightweight, soft, cool and
comfortable. Underwear should be worn with all suits to increase
protection from fire and hot liquids. Unlike Nomex, our knit feels like
cashmere and absorbs sweat allowing cooling evaporation. In hot weather
we recommend soaking underwear in ice water before your race. According
to the SFI Foundation, this increases your chance of surviving a fire by
lowering body temperature. Note: We do not recommend soaking Nomex
(fiberglass) underwear in water.

As for Nomex, from Dupont:
Inherently flame-resistant, NOMEX. won't melt, drip, burn or support
combustion in the air. NOMEX. is an inherently flame resistant aramid
and static-dissipative fibre blend manufactured only by DuPont. It is
used in protective apparel to help shield wearers from flames, flash
fires and electric arcs.

NOMEX. contains a blend of at least 5% KEVLAR., DuPont's high strength
fibre, to add greater protection, and a blend of proprietary antistat
fibres to provide permanent antistatic characteristics.

This intimate blend gives NOMEX. a unique combination of heat and flame
resistance, anti-static behaviour, durability and aesthetics. NOMEX. is
also resistant to most industrial oils, solvents and chemicals, making
NOMEX. ideal for primary barrier clothing such as coveralls,
fire-fighter jackets and trousers, foul weather gear, shirts and
accessories.

Under exposure to extreme heat, NOMEX. brand fibres consolidate and
thicken. The high temperature resistance and strength of Kevlar. brand
fibre enables these swollen fabrics to remain intact. Something which we
at DuPont refer to as non-break-open protection.

NOMEX. brand fibres are the most widely used high technology fibres for
heat and flame protective apparel. The fact that NOMEX. can be dyed in a
wide range of colours means that safety and corporate appearance can be
combined into one hard wearing comfortable garment.

For more on Nomex, check out this site:
http://www.nomex-australia.com/

--
Marc Sayer
Journalist, Photographer, Dog Trainer (APDT member #062956)

Passions -
Great Danes, auto racing and fast cars, my wife

Dogs -
Gracie, Tank, Delilah, PJ, & the rescue dogs

Cars -
82 280ZX Turbo, 83 Volvo 245, 93 Ford E150 Tow/dog van
71 510 Trans Am vintage racer, Zink based Formula V

My Homepage - http://gracieland.org

Deaf Dane Rescue Homepge - http://gracieland.org/DaneRescue/

Any Dane at the races is a Great Dane!