Second Round on the Dyno for the new motor...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Second Round on the Dyno for the new motor...
From: "David R. Mapes" <dmapes@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 17:51:28 -0500
Hi Folks,

        Spent the day out a Maryland Performance
Center watching George fit a little tuning time
into running the business.  This round of dyno
numbers for Ol'Beastly's new motor is looking up.
Keep in mind these are rear wheel numbers for a 306
on pump gas; I'll just touch on the highlights:

RPM     Ft/Lb     HP
3394    305       197
4030    317       243
4955    318       300
5194    322       318  Torque "Peak"
6810    274       355  Hp Peak

George thinks I may need to switch to a smaller
carb (running 780 CFM Holley with the choke horn
removed at the moment) as its lean and sluggish
below 3000 RPM, so we'll be trying a 650 HP series
carb on it next week some time.  Today we went
down one jet size on each corner, reduced the
mechanical advance in the distributor and set the
timing with more initial advance, but still only
33 degrees total advance.  Given the progress
a couple of simple tuning changes have made (we
picked up 49 HP), I can hardly wait to see where
the numbers end up.  Now, if I could just get
George's undevided  attention... Oh wait, I cant
afford that.

All the Best!  Dave  ;^)
'66 Formula S Barracuda, CP/Vinatage (GoldFish)
'66 C code Mustang Coup, CP (Ol'Beastly)
'91 Sundance, HS (150,000 miles and counting)
'97 Cherokee
Lame Horse Racing
College Park, MD
http://www.erols.com/dmapes/