FIA Appendix K tyres

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: FIA Appendix K tyres
From: Jari Tabell <jari.tabell@pp.inet.fi>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 13:28:30 +0200
Greetings from Finland,

Maybe you sirs (and ladies of course...) could help with some questions
regarding the tyres that FIA Appendix K specifies for the period G
(1.1.1966 - 31.12.1971) cars. FIA literally says as follows:

"Tyres from the Dunlop Vintage, "L" and "M" section and Post Historic
ranges, Goodyear
"Blue Streak", Avon FF 5.0/22x13 and 6.5/23x13 or any tyre from the list
of road tyres
with an aspect ratio of at least 70% (Period G), or 60% minimum (Periods
H and I only)."

... which I think is a bit vague:

For Dunlop it's quite clear, although there is no compound specified. As
I understand they are avaible with both 204 and softer 484 (Post
historic only 484?). Are there any other compounds available?

For Goodyear Blue Streak I have an idea that there are several compounds
available, but I didn't find any clear infomation on them. Which are
they and and how are they  when compared to Dunlop (for example 204)?

About Avon I have understood that these are originally Formula Ford
tyres. Which are the available compounds for them, and how are they when
compared with these others?

I would appreciate any information and also opinions based on
experience. Of course different alternatives may suit best to different
cars, but is there any alternative that would be really in its own
class? Myself I have so far race only on Dunlop 450M, compound 204 in
the period F (which is much easier as the rules allow only Dunlop with
this compound...). In the period G there is are so many confusing
alternatives...

Best Regards
Jari Tabell
http://personal.inet.fi/koti/jtabell/
http://www.historicrace.fi/

PS. Winter here is as best now. Last weekend we had an ice-race on a
frozen lake (studded rally tyres were allowed). There was also a
demonstration race for formula cars. A bit cool stuff...