Re: Question on HSR

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Question on HSR
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 06:13:38 -0500
Hmmm, sounds like he has enough experience to determine "motive"...  The
thing you must remember about this, as mentioned in several of the previous
messages, is that we are talking about HSR, an organization that has a
separate race for early "two-litre" Porsches that are permitted to run full
carbon fiber bodywork.  The Predator, as described earlier, is another
carbon-fiber bodied car with selected running gear and wheels wider that
ever ran on any E-type you've seen.  There are "brand new" Chevron B-16(s)
running which are stronger, lighter and way more advanced than the "real"
ones.  The cut-off year is somewhere in the late 90's...  HSR has always
been a "run what you brung" organization and has been successful in that
effort - more power to them!  So it makes no sense to me why suddenly they
would be rejecting cars, at the track, because they didn't have the "right"
tires.  (They have classes for cars running race slicks as well as treaded
tires so there should be a group to move them to if this was really an
issue...)  I think what we're dealing with here is a problem with the
individual official - or at least his demeaner.  I certainly don't
understand
why a car with verifiable history would be barred from competing in future
events.  BTW, I am a Porsche driver myself and hold no grudge against
the marque - we just happen to have a lot of drivers interested in racing!

The suggestions we've received from our brothers "abroad" about appealing to
the SOMs, etc. are unaware of the dictatorial nature of HSR events and,
while good advice at events run by SCCA and some of the other Vintage
organizers, do not apply in this case.  I would hope that someone from HSR
is monitoring this thread and takes the comments/opinions expressed back to
their organization for review and further consideration.  HSR puts on good
events but attitudes like this can spoil it for a lot of people.  If they
are taking that tempting path toward catering only to the "semi-tractor
trailer" crowd then I wish them well.  If you want to race at some of the
"big name" events like this weekend's 12 hours of Sebring then you have to
take your chances; if you just want to race at some of the same tracks with
others who enjoy racing in the same spirit then there are other
alternatives...

*8o)

website:  http://www.netcom.com./~nobozos/