A Question

To: "Vintage-Race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: A Question
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 17:11:35 -0800
Today's thread about the Webers on a Triumph GT6 has got me thinking.  I
have noticed that a large number of folks with 60's and 70's vintage racers
fit Webers to their cars.  However SCCA  (with some exceptions) generally
did not allow you to change carbs on Production class vehicles. Therefore, I
was wondering what is the dominant argument that Weber DCOE carbs are
"period correct" when SCCA during that period did not allow them?  I notice
that in a quick read of several of the vintage club rules, most say that you
cannot change carbs.  But a lot of folks do, and no one seems to care.  I
have heard something about cars prepared to FIA specs, but that seems sort
of weak, as almost all cars amateur raced in this country in the 60's and
70's ran with the SCCA, not the FIA.  Also, it would seem to me that if the
various groups are trying to get a handle on the increasing speeds and
prevent "incidents", then instead of playing with the tire rules, they would
just enforce the rules that are already on the books (then after doing that,
see what needs "tweaking").  I'm not trying to start an argument, but since
I'm building a vintage race car myself, I'm trying to figure out what the
"real" rules are.

Thanks,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA