American Racing Blue Paint...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: American Racing Blue Paint...
From: CKoehler@amuniversal.com
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 17:50:49 -0600
I passed this thread to an off-list friend on mine, Bob Storck, who had an
interesting comment and entertaining story to share.  Here it is.

Cliff Koehler
VSCDA, SCCA

> ----------
(snip) Looks to be a lighter blue than the color currently used by
Cunningham. It's hard to tell from photos ...

> The big problem is not lighting, fading, or anything like that. It is
> the variety of films used, processing and stability of print and
> negative colors over time. Everyone who restores airplanes, cars and the
> like deals with this. Some black and white films make purples look
> yellow and vice versa! The best scheme is to find an original item, and
> as you did, search for some hidden part. You can take fine sand paper,
> 600 grit or better, and V-E-R-Y carefully wet sand down through the
> layers of paint to discover original markings and colors.

(snip) I think that Cunningham dipped into the nearest paint can to do the
original stripes, he'd probably laugh to hear how much trouble I went
through to get the color "correct".

Cunningham was one of the original meticulous documentors, and