Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds
From: "Jim Hill" <jrhill@chorus.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 16:46:57 -0500
It was written:

> Clearly the new Ford GT is not a replica any more than
> the new Beetle or new Mini are replicas.

The automotive press has dubbed these as "Retro" cars (presumably a
shortened form of "retrospective", as opposed to "retrograde"). Good enough
for me.

And as to the dilemma posed by Pat Ryan:

> I have Mark Donohue's first racer, an Elva Courier.  The body,
> chassis and owner chain date to Mark without a doubt.  I
> sincerely doubt that the motor dates back that far . . .

> Experts say the chassis is not safe and needs to be replaced.
> If I do this would it still be Mark Donohue's car?  I think
> most would agree that it would be . . .
> If I replaced most of the body would it still be Mark's car?
> Again I think yes.

> If all the pieces but a dash, rollbar and other odds and ends
> have been replaced, it is not the real car, so they might say.
> I do not agree . . .

Few would question that the "rebuilt" car you describe would be a
period-correct/authentic/genuine/real (take your pick) vintage race car,
with an extensive competition history, presumably eligible for most any
vintage race. But would it still be "Mark Donohue's first racer"? Or would
it be a "restored Elva Courier race car with a few parts from Mark Donohue's
first race car" . . .

Glad you decided to keep the Donohue Elva for display just the way it is.

I'd love to find that Austin Healey I owned 40 years ago, and would happily
buy it back today, no matter how decrepit it might have gotten over the
years. But if it turned out that everything I'd laid hands on had been
replaced except the steering wheel, it wouldn't be "my car" and I'd have no
interest in it (although that wouldn't stop me from asking, "How much do you
want for that crummy old steering wheel?")

Jim Hill