Re: Authenticity

To: Mike <Michael_Gee@telus.net>
Subject: Re: Authenticity
From: Larry Dent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 14:23:53 -0500
Sorry gang, as I said yesterday, I missed the original question upon
which this discussion started. Someone might want to send me a copy if
you still have it.

Now as to using a cylinder head upon which to build a car and claim it
as original is, in my view, not correct and not acceptable IF it is to
be represented as an original car.

There has to have been a complete original vehicle at some time in the
past to establish the blood line.  A cylinder head is a pretender to the
blood line.

A vehicle using an original cylinder head would be a nice replica using
a few original parts, but certainly not an original car.

You know, you can Philadelphia lawyer this to kingdom come, but unless
the vehicle originated with the manufacturer and had the manufacturers
ID plate, with the manufacturers issued serial number it is a pretender.
 If it has this blood line it would be original no many how many times
it was re-built, parts changed, tubs re manufactured, etc, provided a
serious attempt to be correct in its repairs, rebuilds or restorations,
even the over restorations we see today. It has the blood line.
Otherwise it is a pretender.  Nice, but a pretender non the less.

As to the Ford GT it is not a replica.  It is a Ford GT,  a stand alone,
original vehicle. The old original race cars were GT 40 serialized NOT
Ford GT.  It is simply a new car inspired by an old car.

Just my view.

Larry Dent