RE: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds
From: "Jim Gambony" <britbits@tiu.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 00:00:07 -0500
Well, I think this issue gets to the heart of car collecting for profit, and
race car heritage.

We'd all like to own the Shelby Cobra racing coupes (or at least I can't
imagine anyone NOT wanting them!!!)... But there were only 2 or 3 built.

When I raced with CVAR in 1995, it was with a 1961 Morris Mini (from the
commission plate/title) built as a 1275 Cooper S, with a genuine Cooper S
drivetrain.  The "S" didn't exist in 1961, and the car does not carry a
Cooper commission plate.

But except for the 13 inch Revolution wheels (with A008p street tires) the
car was basically how an "S" would have been campained in the late 60s.  The
previous owner had all the "S" badging but didn't have the nerve to put it
on the car, as it wouldn't have been "correct".

So, I bought the car knowing it was not a true "S".. And knowing there was
no race history.  I was happy to find a venue to let me go and play.  And
there should be venues for those who have built vintage replicas (to the
original specs!!!!) but have no true heritage to play on the track.

And there should be places for only the true original cars to play.. Or
circle around the track slowly so the owners don't lose their investments!

But there need to be places for the rest of us with dreams, hopes, and small
budgets to play responsibly too.

But if the car was sold as the "real deal" and is not such.. The auction
house and the seller need to be educated on the fine points of the law if
the car is not the real thing!!!

I don't know the production numbers.. But were there more than a dozen
D-type Jags built originally?  I'd think in that case an XKSS would have
more value due to it's exclusivity.  Then again, what do I know, I deal in
Minis..  ;)

Cheers,

Jim
'61 Morris vintage racer