Request for Oil Temp Info

To: "Vintage-Race" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Request for Oil Temp Info
From: Phil Buttolph <pb1@humboldt.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 14:23:42 -0700
Vintage-Race Folks,

Below is a follow-up question I posed on another list...I could use your
collective knowledge concerning my engine oil temperature question...

--------
A bit of follow-up information on my question concerning what maximum and
sustained oil temps were "acceptable" and would not cause the engine to
grenade ... I ran my 62' at Thunderhill Raceway last Saturday....even on
I-5 in route to the track at 3,200 RPM (3:70) with an air temp of about 100
and water temp around 195..the engine oil temp (VDO gauge in oil pan) was
between 230-240 degrees..once on the track chasing Jim L.'s 63' Grand Sport
I saw consistent 250s a few spikes to 275+ degrees...I learned to "drive
around this" by using more of 4th and less of 3d gear....but I didn't run
Sunday in deference to saving my engine and the 4.5 hour drive home...I
hope I am actually gaining wisdom with age!

But the question remains....what oil temperatures (maximum and sustained)
are "safe" for a (Chevy) small block?

I talked to several race mechanics attending
to cars at the track and they said that the rod/main bearings ran about
50-60 degrees hotter than the oil and that when the bearings reached 360
degrees it was given that you would sooner rather than later break a crank
or have a rod sticking through the block or out the oil pan...
I do disagree that fossil oil provides the small lubricating advantage as a
full synthetic at high temperature...numerous comparisons validate that
conventional oil we break down and flash before synthetics...but this is a
matter of personal choice...for me even a slight edge is worth the $$$ and
I do change oil every 3,000 miles...not because of degraded oil properties
per-say but because I assume that my carbureted motor is not providing
optimal fuel management and therefore the oil is contaminated with
fuel...safe assumption considering how often I am into all four barrels...
Last item...the 40w Redline Race Oil I used for these track days is in fact
a 15w40 Non-detergent synthetic...not suitable for normal street driving
since internal deposits would quickly accumulate..my road choice is 10w-40
Redline, a "full package" detergent lube..

Please let me know about the oil temperatures if anyone monitors their oil
temps or has information concerning them...

Thanks ....Phil:::

Phillip Buttolph
Diving Safety Officer
Humboldt State University Arcata, CA 95521
(707) 826-4104

62' Sateen Silver Corvette
"That isn't Duct or Duck Tape; it is Sateen Silver Racing Tape!"