different barn find of a lesser god

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: different barn find of a lesser god
From: Wavslav@aol.com
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2003 01:22:26 EDT
Well this isn't nearly as exciting as the peerless find, and hardly even
interesting to the vintage purist, perhaps nauseating to some.

I was driving down the North Coast today, and by the side of the road was
what I thought to be an abandoned, Chevy Monza.
The Monza, for those who remember, was a descendant of some sort to the Chevy
Vega, but in the mid 70s they were pressed into service as Group 4 and 5 IMSA
monsters.
Fitted with big V8s, huge bodywork and tipping the scales at around 2300 lbs,
possibly less, race ready.
I don't believe they were as successful as legend may tell, but they and the
Greenwood Vettes were the only racing "statements" coming out of the USA in
the 70's

http://www.larsonpage.com/cv/dekon2.htm

It turns out the car was not a Monza, It was a Buick Skylark, of which, one
was built by Dekon, for IMSA racing, history unknown, (to me)

This Skylark was in fair shape. The body was clean except for the front
drivers fender and some poorly repaired rust on the lower hatchback glass. not
a V8
4 speed, but a V6 auto, ho hum, I hate contorting to install clutch pedals.

The car was clearly a beater, some white trash barely getting down the road,
broke down and abandoned, not worth towing anywhere. POS.  It sat for awhile,
plates gone, interior rumaged through, all glass broken out, a couple of .22
cal bullet holes in the windshield, (but no blood on the seats, or defecation
as yet).

It was gold tagged for pickup by the highway patrol.
I scribbled a note on the tag for the tow company to call me when they are
ready to sell it, and called my buddy at the CHP and asked him to hasten it's
tow status along, ie: set a fire under the tow company's ass to come get it.

While not a pure bred vintage historied, log book bearing race car, with good
prep, it could be welcome one day, at some vintage events.
I have enough motors and parts in my raceshop to build another car or 2 with
left over parts and have some fun building bodywork. (finding decent brakes
that fit could be a hassle though)
We'll see how it plays out, it could be a side project, if I ever get time
off from my new '88 SCCA ITE/SP Corvette project.
Off to the shop now to do some fiberglass work on the Vette hood, paint the
cage tomorrow...

Thanks
Evan