Re: Sad News - Gil Nickel

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Sad News - Gil Nickel
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 14:45:27 -0700
Drat.

Something I wrote a few years back on another list:

Speaking of memories, I may have mentioned this before on the list, perhaps it
was another, I can't remember at the moment.  Road & Track magazine, November
of 1995, a trio of Vipers on the cover.  Within that issue is a story by Peter
Egan.  You know, I bet he has an email address.  He would, I surmise, not be
unwelcome here.  Wonder if anyone on this list has *not* heard of him?
Anyway, the story I speak of, "The Mille Miglia and the Great Yellow Beast,"
is about how he and Gil Nickel, who probably has more money than any dozen FOT
folks put together, but spends it wisely, took Gil's Ferrari to a modern day
running of the Mille Miglia.  I won't recount the story here, you simply
*must* read it for your selves.  I will, however, quote the closing paragraph:

   Those old men and women along the road remember.  They weren't
   waving to us.  They were waving to the ghosts of those who once
   drove our cars absolutely as fast as they knew how to go.