RE: Electrical kill switch question

To: <PaceCars@aol.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Electrical kill switch question
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 21:32:25 -0700
Harold,

With a one wire alternator, you don't need a 4 post switch (since the extra
circuit is to switch off the indicator light circuit).  However, you can
still use your four post switch just using the two main posts.

Ours is wired as follows (single wire alternator):

1. Alternator to side 1 of kill switch

2. Battery to side 1 of kill switch

3. Everything else (except large starter motor cable) to side 2 of kill
switch

Stops engine (and everything else that needs 12V).  Hasn't broken alternator
(yet). We also have a second starter solenoid next to battery (battery in
passenger compartment) wired so that the large starter motor cable only has
juice in it when starting engine)  We got the idea for that from street rod
guys, who routinely put them in their trunk mounted battery installs.

Hope this helps,

Hugh Barber
Hollister, CA
'73 TR6