Re: [Vintage-race] Sims

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] Sims
From: "Peter Krause" <peter@peterkrause.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 18:17:09 -0400
Greg, buddy, try $25K for a top-line sim cockpit with a PC, PS3 and a XBox
360 all in one, plasma screen, full dash, racing seat and harnesses, full
force feedback, calibrated brake pedal pressure and a functioning clutch!
You British car guys are such cheapskates! <very big grin>

Seriously Norm, all the top coaches I know (myself included <grin>) use sims
to acclimate and familiarize drivers with various courses. Heck, I won my
first race at Barber in July of 2003 after practicing for a few weeks on the
superb rendition of the track in rFactor. Bob Earl, Ross Bentley and a
bunch of the rest of us use them all the time. Heck, there's a story on
Planet F1 right now about Hamilton shunning the McLaren simulator for a good
old PS3 version of Brazil to practice for next weeks race!

PM me or call me off-list so as not to bother the group and I'll fill you
in.

Mild to wild, you can run the full gamut. Consoles are inexpensive but
limited in their course offerings. PC's offer wider range but require the
most up-to-date hardware and more than a little knowledge to make it all
work.

-Peter (at Targa 66, back Monday)
www.peterkrause.net