Re: [Vintage-race] Fuel pump recommendation

To: Awgertoo@aol.com,vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Vintage-race] Fuel pump recommendation
From: Tony Drews <tony@tonydrews.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2008 20:16:23 -0500
Been there, done that.  You need a Holley Blue pump that comes with a
matching regulator.  The pump puts out about 15 psi, and the
regulator (even though it has a stated lower limit of 4 psi - I've
got it dialed down to 2 psi for my webers) will consistently keep the
pressure down to where the SU's are happy.  We've been able to run 3
psi or so without fuel coming out of the overflows.  You want the
fuel pump next to the fuel cell, 3/8" or -6 line to the firewall, and
the regulator on the firewall (or thereabouts).  Since switching to
this arrangement we've had zero problems with pump or regulator.  3/8
seems a bit large, but it really does make a difference.  It keeps
the pressure drop from back to front to a minimum, allowing the stuff
to do its job.

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=2516  (can
be had for cheaper elsewhere - try www.carshopinc.com but you get a
good description here)

The normal setup we've seen (the troublesome one) uses a pump that
puts out about 5 psi, and then a regulator on the firewall that drops
it to maybe 3 psi.  There's not enough pressure differential across
the regulator for it to operate reliably.  When it quits working
right it behaves EXACTLY as you've described.  In taking the
regulator out of the system to solve this problem temporarily, we
discovered that the SU's will take 5 psi at idle just fine (as long
as you're not running Grose jets).

- Tony Drews
Triumph TR-4 #95