[Vintage-race] Holley fuel regulator adjustment

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net, VRG_NewsGroup@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [Vintage-race] Holley fuel regulator adjustment
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 18:32:36 EDT
I recently purchased a Holley Blue fuel pump to  replace the Facet cube I
have on my Elva which has an MGA 1500 engine w/two HS6  SU's. The pump came
with
the 4.5-9 psi regulator which I have plumbed up to the  carbs using a Y-block
with a pressure guage installed in a 3rd-outlet.

I  know that SU's supposedly like 2-4 psi but several folks have told me that
they  have had good results with this pump/regulator combo and have been able
to  adjust the regulator's flow down to 4.5 or so psi without any
overpressure  problems on their SU's, and that the high pressure regulator is
better than
the  1-4 psi Holley regulator. I hope I have made the right selection here.
I'm using  AN6 lines from the fuel cell to the regulator with a 3/8" nipple to
the block  and then 5/16" lines from the Y-block to the carbs,

In any case I am a  bit confused by the Holley instructions which state:

"Any change made in  fuel pressure will change the fuel bowl float level
requirements. A readjustment  in fuel bowl levels will be required for proper
operation of the fuel system."

Assuming I am able to adjust the pressure down to where it does not
overwhelm the needle valves in the float bowls I do not understand why I will
need to
adjust the float bowl level. I thought that on SU's that is pretty much  a
fixed thing.

Can someone shed some light here?

Thanks in  advance--Michael Oritt

Home.