vtr

RE: VTR Information

To: Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com
Subject: RE: VTR Information
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 1995 16:20:49 -0900 (PDT)

On 10 Oct 1995 Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com wrote:

> Andrew,
>      The car was built December 1970. It is a 1971 GT6 MKIII comm no. KF 166
> L. I bought it in 1972  with 18,000 miles on it (in Texas). It looked brand
> new when I bought it. The color is Signal Red with a black interior and
> white headliner. Pure stock with a Delco distributor, 4 speed gearbox,
> transverse leaf spring, and rotoflex rear axles....
>
> It now has 139,000 miles on it and it and it is in perfect shape....
>
>      The only thing possibly out of the ordinary is I never have had any
> electrical problems or been stranded in the 120K+ miles I have driven (knock
> on wooden dash)....
>
>      I believe if it is going to sit in a garage and not be used except for
> car shows then you are really missing the true purpose of having a Triumph.
> I really enjoy racing around the Hill Country around Austin where I now live.
>
> Nice hearing from you,
> Richard Ceraldi
> erc004@email.mot.com

Likewise, thanks for your response. Occasionally, I wish people like you
could stand up at a podium at car meets and tell everyone what you've
said here; maybe some would start to understand!

My 1970, despite a well-intentioned but rather ignorant previous owner
and some problems he caused, was a very reliable car for a number of
years, for daily driving, long trips, and innumerable autocrosses and
rallyes. It left me totally stranded twice: once from a broken axle
shaft (due to neglected u-joint) occuring within sight of my house; and
once from -30 degrees F. temperature and frozen gas lines in a
particularly tough winter.

Beyond that, it was probably the least reliable Triumph I ever owned. I
say that only because it was one of the very few Triumphs I've owned
where I need almost one whole hand on which to count the number of
significant problems. ;-) Those included fried alternator (hey, it
happens), the axle, and a replaced differential (the deal I got on a
good used unit was better than the value of repairs to the one in the
car, which really needed only a bearing and seal).

Sounds like we agree that two of the best things to do for your car are to
drive them and take care of them. Unfortunately, mine has been off the
road for some time, awaiting major rust repair (a "benefit" of living in
the snowbelt).

The GT6 still doesn't get the recognition it really deserves, even among
a lot of Triumph folk.  Fortunately, there are a number of us in VTR who
DO understand. Bob, Chris, and other GT owners, am I right?

Andrew Mace
10/Herald/Vitesse (Sports 6) Consultant
Vintage Triumph Register
amace@unix2.nysed.gov