vtr

Re: Question concerning "missing" TR6

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>, vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Question concerning "missing" TR6
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 97 15:11:08 EDT
Cc: BEChr@CompuServe.COM
Sender: owner-vtr@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Ed,
     I'm no TR-6 expert, but I'll hazard a few guesses/observations.

On Apr 7,  2:54pm, Ken Streeter wrote:
> SU carbs have been re-built with gasket kits.

First observation- TR-6's came with Zenith Stromberg carbs.  If
these really are SUs, they're likely to be off another car, and
may have inappropriate needles fitted.

> Pollution controls have been
> temporarily removed & ports sealed.
> 1976  TR-6,  41,000 miles
> new vacuum lines & flame arresters
> Crane Electronic Ignition
> Crane Coil
> New Blue Standard wires
> Bosch Platinum plugs

These plugs are known to be a problem on cars that use any oil
at all; they tend to foul very quickly in most British cars.
I'd recommend switching back to a good quality, copper cored
plug like the NGKs or the new Champion plugs.

good luck,

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm