vtr

RE: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners (was: Further induceme nt to

To: "'Kai M. Radicke'" <kmr@pil.net>, vtr@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net, 2000-register@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners (was: Further induceme nt to get you all to the 2001 convention...)
From: "Musson, Carl" <musson@chekhov.arts.usf.edu>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 15:30:16 -0400
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
Kai - I am hopeful that in this case your desired effect was to do as your
first sentence suggests:  instigate controversy.

When I was of the current rice burners age, the rage was chopped & hopped
40's & 50's American Iron which then morphed in the muscle cars of the
60's/70's.   There were three of us in high school that had TR3's  (we were
the triumphant three... gotta find that picture) and oddly enough the fourth
in our crowd bought a TR4 in 1966 after he got out of high school... None of
us knew anything about cars other than gastank and peddle, but over the next
6 or 7 years, we sure learned.  That was before the club scene was popular
and the internet - not even a dream...  I ran into one of the other guys
last summer (the '4 owner) and the three of us that are still on this earth
have continued to be involved in Brit Cars.

If that wasn't the case, then I suggest that you are all wet.

Will a reduce membership increase awareness or desire on the part of younger
participants?  I have my doubts.   My feeling is that an increase in the
numbers and types of activities at the local level with an active
participation by current owners will have a much more profound affect on the
minds of the young.  Autocrossing can have a direct relationship with the
"need for speed" that is inherent in youth.  The sense of accomplishment and
camaraderie that can come from being an owner and participant is a bonus.

Carl