vtr

Re: A reply to the Pete Gorh saga

To: StuCohen@aol.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net, vtr@autox.team.net, autojumble@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A reply to the Pete Gorh saga
From: TriStagReg@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 13:54:38 EDT
Cc: herald1200@home.com, gharris@rochester.rr.com, geeno@adelphia.net, mporter@zianet.com, randallyoung@earthlink.net, ARoman4047@aol.com, M.Hesselink@chello.nl, marknsuz@pacbell.net, mjb@cs.utah.edu, sdaniels@gorge.net, mlowe@itrade-sa.com, chuckp@magenic.com
Sender: owner-vtr@autox.team.net
In a message dated 7/28/01 11:12:38 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
StuCohen@aol.com writes:

> My point is, I thought I could get an essentially "original" key for the
> Spitfire that I could use as a master for making copies for years to come.
> But if you're saying that no matter how old and worn down a key gets, I can
> take it to the hardware store and have a new copy cut and it'll work fine,

I'll throw in my hey penny on this too.

I bought reproduction British Leyland swirl rubber ended Keys from Triple C
to fit my Stag.  These are blanks, and the quality is excellent, and the
price was right.  I also bought the original glovebox / trunk blanks with the
Triumph crest on them.

Having paid $24 for the two sets, I was curious if my BMIHT certificate key
numbers were still what was on my car.  So I went to a local locksmith who
has every key code for every key since the lock was invented.
       First, I paid him to cut a cheap standard set of blanks using the key
codes to compare to my current set of keys, and viola, they matched.  Then
after verifying that the new key code cut keys actually worked, I then went
back to get my expensive blanks cut from the keycodes.  $50 later, I have
"original" style keys cut with the "original" keycodes.

The point is, and I think it is a rather simple one, that the key codes on my
car and certificate actually matched.  How was Pete going to cut your keys to
an unknown key code?  Did you expect to supply Pete with a keycode from your
BMIHT certificate and have it work the first time?  I completely understand
your beef that Pete advertises cutting from keycode which he can do and does
very well, but that is provided you have the keycode that matches the codes
of the locks in your car.

Right Key code = right key cut.  Unknown key code = cut from whatever you
have to use as a match.

My recommendation is, have your key blanks cut to the original keycodes from
your BMIHT certificate.  Remove all the tumblers from your locks, take them
down to the locksmith, have them reset the tumblers to match the "original"
keycodes.  Then you will have your "original" keycodes on "original" keys
with an "original" lock set.

In My Not So Humble Opinion, you got the best service that could be obtained
under the facts and conditions, and Pete did nothing out of line.

Regards,
Glenn  Merrell
President ProTem
Triumph Stag Club USA