[6pack] su carb needles

Jimandruthhome at aol.com Jimandruthhome at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 13:59:22 MDT 2008

Forgot to mention that the long spring inside the carb comes in different
spring rates, which makes a difference also in how the carb performs.
Basically the spring slows the rise of the piston, affecting air/fuel mix  when
staring from a dead stop and in other sudden demand situations.  I've  also heard
of, though never felt the need myself, of folks shortening the spring  to
"custom tune."

On my su's, with spring biased KN needles, the spring is yellow (the
different rate springs are color coded).

If you can get a copy of the Haynes SU carb manual, it explain the theory
better than I.  It also has a long list of needles with their dimensions  and
original applications.

Also give Joe Curto a call.  He is a pleasant and helpful  guy and knows more
about British carbs than anyone else I've ever met.  His  shop is in the
Bronx, he advertises in the usual places.

Jim

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.