[6pack] su carb needles

Ed bratt at sasktel.net
Sun Jul 27 16:49:16 MDT 2008

Jim:

While you have been discussing SU problems, I have been questioning
whether to tell you about my recent experience with a pair of SU
carburetors.

Well, here goes.

My longtime friend had a non-Triumph car in his backyard for 15 years.
It was parked under a pair of pine trees, looking ugly, rusty and awful.
I hated to see it go to the crusher because there were only 16,000 of
these cars built.   So, I called a tow truck and had it dragged over to
my place.

One day I wondered if it would star, so I hooked up the battery out of
my truck, cleaned the distributor cap and rotor; checked out the wiring
and found three real good wires and one so-so.  Checked out the coil.
It was Ok.  Then I removed the tops off the SU's.  The pistons were
stuck.  I sprayed them with oil and carburetor cleaner, and worked them
free.  Then I washed the pistons and needles in fuel injector cleaner,
and got them so they would move up and down near freely.  Next I hooked
up a lawnmower gas tank hanging from the hood.  I gave each carb a shot
of spray ether, and turned the motor over--and it fired right up, and it
ran;  and purred like a kitten.

If you are wondering, the car is a 1955 MG Magnette Sports Saloon which
has been fitted with a pair of 1 3/4" SU's probably from a TR3.

Ed Bratt
Regina, Saskatchewan

1976 TR6