[6pack] vintage car market

samuelsma at aol.com samuelsma at aol.com
Tue Jul 29 11:04:20 MDT 2008

Listers:

As?some of you know (those who peruse TR6 listings on eBay from time to time), I have my Tahiti blue '76 on eBay again.? It generally gets up to about $10-12,000 and then stalls.? I bought the car for $16,000 and have a lot more money in it, and actually had a local offer of $17,250 several months ago that I should have taken but did not and the buyer lost interest.? I am now using a 3rd party service to try to sell the car, but I'm not confident that it will make any difference at this point.? I'm willing to take what I paid for the car, but not less.

The point of this email is not to complain, but to inquire about 2 things:

1.? Has the vintage car market (or at least the TR6 market) gotten as soft as it seems to me?? There are 29 cars on eBay right now, many quite nice, with buy-it-now prices as high as the low 20's.? Is anyone getting good money for a TR6 at this point?

2.? Assuming that I can't get a good offer, I might consider just storing the car for 2-3 years and then selling in a stronger market.? However, I really want to get the car out of my garage to make room for my daily driver, which is baking in the Florida sun.? Storage in Miami is $300-400/month.? If I were to put it in a more rural storage place elsewhere in Florida, would it be much cheaper?? And could I store it in such a way that the car would be in good shape when I was finally ready to resurrect it?

Thanks as always.

Michael
'76 Tahiti blue
CF 57044U