[6pack] Fw: Re: A quote I read that concernes us.

Jim Jones jimjcmo at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 30 19:17:32 MST 2008

--- On Thu, 10/30/08, Jim Jones <jimjcmo at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Jim Jones <jimjcmo at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [6pack] A quote I read that concernes us.
To: johnehorton at yahoo.com
Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 3:46 PM

I sent this reply to John, but since the floodgate has burst I might as well
pile on. It's unlikely that a law to mandatorily remove deficient vehicles
from the road would pass Congress. ALTHOUGH I have been around long enough to
see what happens when one party controls all three branches of the government.
People get ideas. Crazy things can happen ... 55 MPH speed limit, 85 MPH
speedometers, proposals to put governors on cars (Joan Claybrook), odd-even
driving days proposals, mandatory car-pooling proposals, etc. You can laugh
about this concern that John brought up,  but don't laugh too hard.

"There are parts of Missouri, my home state, where MSNBC and the Huffington
Post are not held in high regard. I'd like to see the "new sheriff" come and
try to confiscate their old pickup trucks, let alone their guns. What this
"great idea" has going against it is that seizing older vehicles will most
negatively affect two big parts of their constituency - the older people who
VOTE, and the poor, who they use as an excuse to justify more spending
programs. You can be sure Acorn would holler!  Unless they want to write big
checks to buy old cars, it'll never happen. (I should never say "Never".)

As for me, I'm not as right wing as many people are here, but I'm
prepared move my car to an Unspecified Location Somewhere in Missouri where
local law enforcement is more worried about busting meth labs and robberies.
Old cars just aren't on their list of "Things We Gotta Do."

Jim