[6pack] Sunfast Top Installation Pt.1

Bob Rochlin r_rochlin at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 2 07:59:29 MST 2009

Hay List,	Some of you may recall that last spring I had a number of questions
about putting a new top on my TR6.  I had bought a Sunfast top from TRF and
just didn't see how it would fit correctly.	Before I attempted to install the
top myself I called Robbins Tops as I thought that I may have had the wrong
top. The folks at Robbins were very responsive and double checked the number
and assured me that I had the right top.  when I insisted that I didn't see
how it could fit they said that it it didn't fit correctly when installed by
an authorized Robbins installer they would stand behind the top.  If I
installed it myself I was on my own. I had a local authorized installer do the
top and these are are my observations:	The Sunfasat top has no stretch or
give.  the installation of the top really does need someone who is
experienced.  When the top was done it did indeed fit, but I'm confident that
I would have never got the fit right.  In  my opinion the Sunfast top is much
more difficult to get right than the vinyl tops for a DIYer. 	The top really
fit well except it was too tight.  My original motivation in replacing the top
was to have a top that was not impossible to put when it got chilly or started
to rain.  The new top is not easier to erect that the old top was.  The old
top was made of Everflex.  It seems that the top frame is not engineered to
stretch the top and have the front of the top come down on the windshield
fasteners, but rather depends on muscle and the window frame to catch the
front of the top and then stretch it as you tighten down the clamps (we've all
been there)  this puts a lot of strain on the windshield frame.  When I called
Robbins about how taught the new top was they assured me that it would "relax"
if I kept it up for three weeks.  This was true to some extent, but the top is
still,in my opinion, too tight.Continued in part 2...