[6pack] Sunfast Top Installation Pt.2

Bob Rochlin r_rochlin at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 2 08:01:29 MST 2009

Continuation of  part 1...	Before I bought the top I rebuilt the top frame.  I
ordered replacement parts for most of the rubber and found that when I
actually disassembled the top the 30+ year old rubber bits were in almost
perfect condition. Very little of it really needed to be replaced.  A number
of the joints had loosened considerably and the rebuilt top was much tighter.
When I installed the snaps on the rear of the top ( I did start to install the
top myself before I called Robbins) I found it very difficult to pre punch the
holes for the snaps thru the Sunfast Canvas and the little installing tool for
the snaps was really crappy and difficult to get the snaps perfectly
installed.  I borrowed a snap installation tool that costs about 130.00, but
it really worked well.  It prepunched and installed the snaps absolutely
perfectly in one motion and is well worth the money for a club to obtain.  It
really is a quantum leap in the quality of the final snap installation.   	If
you do want to install your own top ask Vance Navarrette for his instructions.
I think Vance's instructions are much better than the instructions on the
Buckeye Triumphs site.  The pictures, however, on the Buckeye Triumphs site
are invaluable.  	In all, although my new top does not improve my ability to
raise the top, the top does look great and fits perfectly.  The top cost
$507.00 on sale at TRF and the boot top was $299.00
       Take care.        Bob Rochlin        '72 TR6