[6pack] temporary starter wiring

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Sun Jan 10 11:07:45 MST 2010

In preparation for turning the engine over once I have it all together with
the starter is there any problem with connecting the starter to the battery as
shown in the wiring diagram with a switched wire to the coil and an additional
switched wire from the on side of the main switch to the terminal where the
white/red wire from the ignition switch would connect to simulate turning the
key to the start position?

I want to be able to dry run the engine to get oil circulated prior to
installing the spark plugs.

I also want to use this setup to test and run the engine before I fit the body
tub.

Seems simple to me looking at the wiring diagram but I dont want to fry
anything.

I did a similar setup on my 4 restoration but didn't need a switch for the
starter solenoid since the 4 comes with a push button.

I always thought the 6 had some sort of a starter relay setup but I dont see
one on the 72 diagram, only on the 75/76 diagram.

I don't know if it matters but this is a late 72.

Thanks

Bob