[6pack] Q on the Speedo

Ken Davis ken at azkiwis.com
Sun Jan 10 16:15:00 MST 2010

Thanks Vance --- in answer to your questions

the small lettering indicates 1120 tpm - according to Bob Danielson  it's
one of the known ones.

Tyre size is 205-70-15's

Speedo is chrome rimmed, but the inner facing surface is black painted, as
is tach and the other gauges.

final drive s/b standard

Pinion gear?  never touched, tho' the tranny and j-type OD were rebuilt
about 8-9 years ago

Now, talking with my son.... He says he caibrated the speedo against his
handheld GPS "many" years ago (but after the rebuild?) and it was reading
1-2 miles low.

More info -- Orig mileage is unknown (we don't even know if this speedo is
original).  Within the last month or two, it turned over to 30,000 showing.
It did not do it by itself.  It would click and click, the odo wheel would
show a little movement, almost imperceptible, but never click past 29999;
the trip odo wasn't turning over either.  I removed it and gave it a little
assist - manually, in turning over.   I could've screwed something up then.

Plus I noticed today while driving with the GPS and marking the glass for
the 'real' speed points, that the odo was reading well over .1mile faster
than the GPS (and road markers) showed their version of a mile.  - More
indication something is a-miss with the unit itself.  I did notice there
have been PO "repairs" to it -- (i) the needle has broken off sometime and
been replaced with a painted strip of plastic, (ii) the green light covers
have been hacked off,

all this makes me wonder if the speedo in the car is the right one...

Its a 73, with a J-type OD unit and apparently the right pinon and final
drive.  Are there any other members with a 73 with a J-type who can verify
what the tpm is on their speedos?

Thanks

Ken Davis