[6pack] Lug Nuts

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 12 06:00:52 MST 2010

On Monday 11 January 2010 08:50:38 pm Dwayne Cooper wrote:
> Gang:
>

> Out driving today (Southern California weather) and nearly lost a wheel.  I
> heard a thunking noise and pulled over to find that the lug nuts on my left
> rear were loose.  I haven't done any work on the car in quite a while and
>  have been driving a fair bit so I don't know how they came to be loose.  I
>  suppose they could have been poorly tightened after some forgotten
>  maintenence but that must have been a while ago.  I have standard steel
>  wheels and lugnuts -- do these things tend to loosen over time or is it
>  just me?
>

> Thanks (and lucky),
>

> Dwayne
>
> '74 tr6

Dwayne,

Yes you were lucky!

It is my guess that the nuts were not tightened. They way they are designed
with the taper they should never come loose. I have stock wheels on my 58 TR3
with the stock nuts and every time I need to remove a wheel, they are as tight
as when I put the tire on.

There is a torque setting somewhere in the manual but I use the stock brace to
tighten and always tighten until I hear that squeal sound. It takes a hefty
pull with the tire on the ground.

Bob