[6pack] Rule of 13 for valve adjustment

Chuck Arnold and/or Kathleen Kelley triosan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 17 08:10:22 MST 2010

Scott Janzen asked for an explanation of the "Rule of 13" for valve
adjusting [in response to another mail string on FOT list].  Here is
my reply:

The way it works is you take the number of the valve that is most open
[spring compressed] and subtract that valve's number from 13. The
result is the valve you should be adjusting.  Example:  Number 7 valve
is fully compressed.  13-7=6.  Adjust valve 6.  I worked out a
sequence yesterday by logic, have not validated against the machine
till Friday.  Here it is [note, the amount of rotation varies.
Figuring 110 degree of lobe separation, it will be 10 degrees between
1 and 6, then 110 between 6 and 5,then 10 degrees between 5 and 10,
etc.  That is why you actually can adjust in pairs, that is 1 and 6
compressed,adjust 12 and 7. [this does not jive with the pairs in the
manual,so I may have worked out the numbers correctly].:

open    adjust
1       12
6       7
5       8